Saturday, July 31, 2021

Writing Tip #24 - Hack your Brain

 All right. There’s some backstory to this, but first I’m going to apologize for not posting for a while. Things are crazy, as always.

First of all, some news. The sale on our ebook for Screenshot was extended to August 23rd, so you can pick up a copy for only 99 cents. If, like me, you prefer to have a physical copy, it is also available on Amazon as a softcover. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.ca/Screenshot-Alice-Salvage  

Yes, it’s under my name. That was easier.

Anyway, on to writing tip number 23!

First of all, I need to clarify something. When I tell you to hack your brain, I don’t mean go to some mad scientist and get him to reprogram your brain with his laser beam or whatever he uses. If you know someone who can do that, talk to the police.

For those of you left, I’ll explain. 

By hack your brain, I mean train yourself to think along different lines. Reward yourself for writing, for meeting word goals and whatever. Tell yourself that you will have a chocolate after you meet your goal, and then do it. It won’t be instant, but after a few days of doing this you’ll start to be excited about writing, because your brain wants the chocolate.

This is the same principle that Ivan Pavlov used to train his dogs. Every time he fed them, he rang a bell. Eventually, they began to associate the bell with food. So, the doorbell rang, the dogs thought food and ate a delivery guy.

No. But they did salivate every time they heard that bell, because it meant something good was coming. 

That type of conditioning works on humans too. It’s like when you are potty-training a child and you give them a treat every time they use the toilet. They start to associate going to the bathroom with the treat, so then they want to go. If you associate writing with something good, you will want to write.

Also, give bigger rewards for bigger accomplishments. Whenever Jillian publishes a book (either hers or as part of a compilation) she buys a stuffed animal. This serves two purposes. One, she’s rewarded herself for publishing, in a way that is tangible, and two, because the treat is tangible and not consumable, she can look up and see it, and see what she’s done. It’s actually quite a good idea.

She keeps the two she has (Edgar the elephant for Unidentified and Renaldo the raccoon for Screenshot) on a shelf above her desk, where she can see them as she writes. She looks at the shelf when she’s feeling stuck or discouraged and reminds herself that she can and has written two books.

Yeah. Rewards. Pavlov.

Anyway, have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and a story

 Good news, I am writing again some.  Bad news, I recently got a diagnosis for my mental health that is a bit concerning and means that I am...