Monday, July 12, 2021

Writing Tip #23 - Break the Rules, within reason

 Hey! Grammar has rules, English has rules, and there are certain rules that your teachers tell you never to break. Things like fragmented sentences, dangling participles, passive voice, head-hopping whatever.

Guess what! You can break them! As a writer, breaking certain rules will give your story a different tone.

Short sentences can help build tension. For example:

They’re watching.

Waiting.

Patient, ever patient.

They stand quietly, barely twitching. A swish of the tail, a blink of an eye.

Some say they’re friendly. But I can tell. They’re waiting for us to drop our guard.

Stupid cows.

See? That bit of writing is tense. It helps to set the scene and tell you a bit about the narrator. But I broke several rules. (Comment if you spot them all!)

As the saying goes, rules are made to be broken. But be intentional. Break rules with a purpose, not for the sake of breaking rules.

If you follow the rules, all the time, you will turn out a respectable book. It might seem a little dry, but your reader won’t know the difference. But by breaking certain rules sometimes, you vary sentence length, tone, and can even write less (words, I mean).

So yeah. Break rules. Intentionally.


Just so you know, I have extended the sale on Screenshot, so it is still only 99 cents. I’ll even give away a few copies of the ebook, just send me an email. 

Again, I am giving away Unidentified, so email me if you wanted a free ebook of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and a story

 Good news, I am writing again some.  Bad news, I recently got a diagnosis for my mental health that is a bit concerning and means that I am...