Monday, October 9, 2023

Writing Tip #37 - Preparation

 Apparently, I'm posting every two days... oh well. I suppose that works too.

Tip #37. Preparation. This covers a few things, such as preparing to write, preparing what you will write, and preparing the space where you write. Some of these things I've gone over before, so I'm just going to touch on them in a general way now, as a refresher for myself. 

Preparing the space where you write ties in to the last tip, which was identifying problems that stop you from writing. Basically, wherever you write, you want there to be minimal distractions. A comfortable chair, a charged laptop or tablet or phone or whatever device you write with. Maybe that means a nice pen and a notebook. Whatever it is. Have everything ready before you start to write so that when you start to write you don't need to stop in order to deal with these things. If you like coffee, have a cup of coffee nearby. Maybe a snack. It's up to you. Just have everything that you will need while you write close by so you don't have to get up.

Preparing to write is more of a mental step. Personally, I need to be in a certain mindset to write effectively. I need to be in a different mindset to edit. Maybe you don't. But I find that I don't write as much or as well when I am thinking about something else, or wanting to do something else. That may seem obvious, but its really that simple. If you aren't thinking about writing, you won't write as effectively. Simple.

Last, you need to prepare what to write. Whether you are a planner or a pantser, you need to have some sort of goal in mind. Maybe it's finishing a chapter or two. Maybe you have a big battle coming up and your characters need to get ready for it. Whatever. Just have a goal in mind. 

I, personally, am a pantser. I've always preferred to start writing with an end goal and figure out the rest along the way. But every time I sit down to write, I ask myself what my goal is. I come up with how the specific scene is going to end and I write to that. Because without a specific goal or plot point to aim for, your characters will likely end up wandering aimlessly, getting into adventures without an overarching theme or plan. 


That's all for now, I think. Just some thoughts and revisiting old ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and a story

 Good news, I am writing again some.  Bad news, I recently got a diagnosis for my mental health that is a bit concerning and means that I am...