Hi! I'm back.
Over the last couple of days, I've done some thinking. I may end up revisiting some of my older writing tips, as I get back into the groove of writing. Today, I am going back to the very beginning, to before I even start to write.
Identify the problem.
Ok, let's start by getting into exactly what I mean by 'problem.' We all know what the word means, but in this context, I am using it to mean anything that keeps me from writing.
There are endless examples of this, and each problem may or may not be a problem for you. It will be different for everyone, but I only really know the problems that I personally face.
One major problem for me is I get distracted really easily. Cats meowing, wind blowing, my stomach rumbling are all big distractions. What's the solution? Depends. If I have control over it (like being hungry) I try to solve that. I'll go get a snack. I'll try figure out what the cats want, or move to a quieter room. I even put my computer into what Microsoft calls 'Focus Mode' and put my phone on silent. Minimize the distractions that I have control over.
Another problem that sometimes keeps me from writing is simply not wanting to. Sounds stupid, right? But it's true. Some days, when I wake up, the last thing I want to do is open my laptop and start writing. My bed is so warm and soft and welcoming, after all. The solution? Just get up and do it. We all encounter things that we don't want to do, but still have to. Going to work, or folding the laundry. I control me, after all.
There is a bit of a wrinkle in that last one. For a long time, I struggled with depression and anxiety. I still do. So, I also need to have a little bit of compassion for myself. On the days when I really don't want to just sit down and write, I'll do something else. Sometimes that's reading, sometimes editing. Sometimes it's not related to writing at all. If I don't want to get out of bed because then I have to write, I simply won't. But while I'm not writing, I'll be thinking about why I don't want to. Is it because I'm dreading a certain scene? Maybe it's because I'm not happy with something about the last scene. Whatever the reason, I do my best to identify exactly what is going on and then I try to resolve it.
I do have days when it doesn't make sense for me to take an hour or two to sit down and write. That's ok too. Busy days happen. You shouldn't put your life on hold to write. I like to do my best to fit writing into my normal life, because writing is something I love doing, something important to me.
All in all, there will always be things trying to stop us from writing. And that is okay, as long as they aren't always keeping you from the story you are trying to tell. Breaks and days where you don't write are also okay. They just can't become habit.
No comments:
Post a Comment