There is something that any author who hopes to be successful in the self-publishing world needs to do, that I haven't done, and that is building an online presence. It's very important that you have an online presence, because if you don't, there isn't really any way for readers to find you, other than word of mouth. Trust me, word of mouth isn't all that effective.
An author needs to have things like an Instagram account (I do. Check it out: @teenage_writer123), a blog where they can announce things like book release dates and contests and prizes and whatnot, a website (it's in the works, I promise) and a YouTube. In the self-publishing world, diversity is better. Don't rely on one site to bring you all your traffic.
Think of it like investing. You don't invest all your money in one venture. No, you diversify, just in case that one venture fails. If you are only invested in that, you could potentially lose everything, whereas if you were invested in several different things, you'd only lose a small part of your total income. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
It won't hurt your sales to have a following before you decide to publish. The more people you reach before, the less people you have to reach later on. That is logical.
All right, enough of that. I probably won't be able to post again for a while (though if I can, that'll be good) because life can get complicated. Rest assured that the second book in my series (so the sequel to Unidentified) is on its way, it just needs more editing than I thought it would. I'm also going to do some work on a nonfiction, which will contain all the writing tips that I post here and possibly more.
Anyway, I guess this is farewell for now, but I'll be back.
Does anyone else find it ironic that I'm announcing I'll be cutting back on my internet presence after a post about being online more? Yeah, things don't always work out like we would like.
No comments:
Post a Comment