Honestly, though, if I hadn't started writing, I think that I would be a very different person. As a writer, I can look at others and hear what their mouth is saying, but also read what their body language is telling me. Writing opened whole new levels of communication and meaning for me, far beyond what we just say to each other. I watch out for those cues now because I had to in order to make my writing authentic.
I also think that I am more well-rounded as a person. I can understand what it is to be rage-filled (as I've written a character like that and done research into it), but I can also understand the quiet side, the soft touch that can change countries and history.
Writing is both a tool for change and an escape for me. If I didn't write, I would've found something similar. Or I would've become a writer anyway.
And so the pen is mightier than the sword.
ReplyDeleteOut of curiosity, do you consider your recently published book to be a "tool for change"?
Delete(Kudos for the publication, btw! Your writing style is astonishing.)
That's a very good question. I don't really know. I feel that whatever someone writes could have the potential to change the world, because words have power.
DeleteRight now, I consider my book a warning against blindly following what we are told and blindly allowing someone to control every aspect of our lives. I guess it could be a tool for change, if someone were to read it and change the way they think or act. Change doesn't have to be huge. If someone reads my book and adjusts even the smallest bit of their thinking, then I've succeeded.