Friday, March 19, 2021

Writing Tip #15 - Use your Resources

 Hey! So, this is an important tip, especially if you’re a teenage writer without much access to funds and or internet.

What I mean by use your resources is that there are people around you who can help with the aspects of your book that you aren’t sure you can do on your own, or just don’t want to. For me, it was an editor, who was a friend of a friend, and I would never have gotten my book edited professionally if not for her. 

The hardest part of this is actually asking people for help. Seriously, that is really hard. Especially because you aren’t sure if you can pay them or not. But you’d be surprised how many people will be willing to get on board and help with your book, for almost nothing. It is polite to thank them in the acknowledgements, so keep that in mind.

Quite often, you know somebody who would be willing to help. One of my friends is willing to design a cover for my second book, which I really hope to have out in May. (Fingers crossed, sacrifice 30 chickens to the writing gods, all that whatnot) If you know me, then you’ll know that I am not good at art. Like, at all. As I’ve put it, I paint pictures with words and monsters with everything else. In terms of cover design, I am absolutely hopeless. 

Anyway, talk to the people around you. Tell them that you've got a book that you are looking to publish. Ask them if they know designers and other people who can help, because your book will inevitably be better for it. 

I've heard that you shouldn't write books for your family, or that many writers have family members that absolutely do not like their stories, or read in their genre. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't at least tell them that you have a book that you published, or intend to publish. Because if your family is truly your family, they will want to help and support you. (If nothing else, they can pester you with questions about when your next book in a series is coming out and where it will be published and keep you supplied with chocolate and caffeine as you slog through an intense writing session.)

That's all I've got for Tip #15. If you have suggestions, or thoughts or anything else, please comment on the page or email me at scribbler.collective@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and a story

 Good news, I am writing again some.  Bad news, I recently got a diagnosis for my mental health that is a bit concerning and means that I am...