Saturday, January 9, 2021

Writing tip # 12 - Use what you’ve got

 Hey! Alice again. I’m making my first writing tip today, so we’ll see how that goes.

Anyway, here’s tip number 12: Use what you’ve got. 

Let’s face it. Writing is HARD. That was a tip from before, and I’ll repeat it. Sometimes the words just come like magic and sometimes they don’t. It’s hard to tell what will happen when you sit down with that laptop or notebook or slate or whatever.

So. Here’s something that’s kind of a no-brainer, but never occurs to most people. Use what you’ve already written. I’m sure you have loads of stories that you wrote before your current one, or if you’re like me, that you wrote while working on your current one. Whichever. The point is, those old or quick stories are often good, or useful at least. Because you used time creating those stories, why shouldn’t they give something back to you?

Every single one of your stories should be working for you, either making you money or promoting your brand or driving traffic to your books and your site. Lots of authors write short stories as practice, but they also publish these stories, as compilations or even novellas. An example is James Patterson’s Bookshots, which are shorter stories that he publishes as separate books. He is spending the time writing the stories, and now the stories are making him money.

So, any piece of writing has the potential to make you money, either directly or by driving traffic to your site and books. Don’t let it just sit on your hard drive gathering digital dust.


On a similar note, I’ve noticed that the stories that I post here are rather popular. Therefore, I’ve decided to compile and publish them as an Ebook, free of course, with some stories that have not appeared on the blog and from Scribblers that have not contributed yet. The book will be titled ScreenShot, and I’ll give you more information once I have a cover and more definite word count for it.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and a story

 Good news, I am writing again some.  Bad news, I recently got a diagnosis for my mental health that is a bit concerning and means that I am...