Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Thoughts of a Salvage

 Hey hey hey! Alice here. Jillian is a little busy this week, what with things like Christmas and family and whatnot, so she asked me to write this post for her.

So, instead of Writing Tips or Jack’s story, you are getting a little bit of random weirdness that I like to call Thoughts of a Salvage. In case you were wondering, that’s me.

Anyway, here we go.

I was looking at Pinterest, theoretically for writing inspiration for a character that is more complicated than I thought she would be, and I stumbled across something amazing. I’d post the actual thing, but, like I said, Jillian is busy and it’s her job to track down authors and creators. The quote is, in a nutshell “To do the impossible, you need to ignore the popular.”

Just thought that was fantastic advice for a writer, because if you try to follow the crowd and do what they do, you’ll never stand out. Writing is about challenging preconceptions, going against the norm. Stories are an extremely powerful tool for change. A well-told story will always convince more people than a reasoned argument. That’s because people are hardwired to pay more attention to stories.

That is also why people hide behind masks and Instagram filters. Another quote (from the Joker) says that if you “give a man a mask and he will show his true self.” which is also true. Once people feel as though you don’t know who they are, they are immediately more comfortable to say what they really think, which is why cyber bullying is such a huge problem. People are easier to lie to when you don’t have to see their faces or pay the consequences for lying.


Wow. Nothing like going for a short wading session and ending up with the water at your neck. Didn’t mean to get so deep for my first post (third if you include the stories Jillian kidnapped).

Aanyway, got to go. Have a good week, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and a story

 Good news, I am writing again some.  Bad news, I recently got a diagnosis for my mental health that is a bit concerning and means that I am...