Friday, April 24, 2020

Sneak Peek!!


As promised, here is a sneak peek at the prologue of my first novel, Unidentified. The actual story takes place about a thousand years after this, but this scene is important for context.
And so, without further ado:
Prologue
August 23, 2144
“Phina, what are you doing?”
I didn’t look up from my microscope. “What’s wrong, Alisya?”
“You took the job with the geneticists, didn’t you?”
I straightened, turning to face my sister. She was younger than me, prettier too, though we both knew that I was the smarter one. “And if I did?”
“We talked about this! You can’t help them!” She came farther into my pristine lab, her huge boots leaving dirty tracks on the tiles that had already had the finish scrubbed off.
“Alisya, this could help so many people!”
“And how will you save them if you help their dictator live forever?” She had suddenly gotten quiet, which, more than anything, made me listen to her.
“I can’t give up this chance,” I replied, knowing that she was right. “Alisya, this could change everything. The pay will set us up for the rest of our lives.”
“At the cost of how many others? How many will have to succumb to his rule?”
“I’m sorry, Alisya,” I replied, turning away again. “I can’t back out now. It’s too late.” Making a few notes in my notebook, I turned my chair around, pushing myself to the counter across the room. There, I looked into a new microscope, adjusting the focus.
“How far are you?”
“Done.” I said it like it wasn’t the statement that would change our country. “All I need to do is activate the conscience, which will only be possible when our current dictator is ready to die.”
“How will you make them all be the same?”
“Transfer memories. It’s not complicated science, Alisya. That’s been done since before we were even born.”
“What are you working on now?”
“Several things. This,” I gestured to the microscope I was currently using, “is the chip that will replace identity cards and currency. It will be implanted at birth and not removed until the subject dies, so it has to hold up. I’m having some trouble with durability. Do you have any ideas?” My sister was brilliant with micro circuitry.
“Does anyone else know how far you are?” Alisya ignored my question. She was obviously disturbed by the cloning initiative.
“Everyone on the project, Master Stogen included.”
“Phina, how could you? Have you even read Stogen’s platform? He intends to enslave Canada, to wage war on the world.”
“I’m sure he doesn’t say so in as many words.”
“Actually, he does,” Alisya didn’t even sound angry anymore, just disappointed. “Quite blatantly. On page four of his manifesto, and page six, and page ten.”
“So you really believe that he is bad for Canada?” I asked, already knowing what the answer would be.
“Yes. Stogen will destroy this country, and you are helping him do it.”
My hands shaking, I turned back to her. “Then you are a traitor. I’m sorry, Alisya.”
Moving quicker than I ever had before, I pressed the prototype stun baton to her neck. She yelped with pain, then collapsed.
“Perhaps they will find a use for you in the testing area,” I told her still form. “I am sorry. But there is no room for dissent in the new world.”
Pressing a button that would call the building security to my lab, I continued my work, unable to look at the woman who had been my sister. If I kept my head down, I knew that no one else would see my tears.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and a story

 Good news, I am writing again some.  Bad news, I recently got a diagnosis for my mental health that is a bit concerning and means that I am...